Dec 22 2015
Top 10 Breastfeeding Tips
Try these ten breastfeeding techniques.
- Hold baby close, supporting the neck but allowing the head to move
- Baby’s chest is against your chest
- Nose is opposite the nipple
- Baby’s head needs to be able to tilt back
- The baby’s chin presents to the breast first
- Baby needs to have a wide open mouth
- Swiftly hug baby close to you so that they can take a big mouthful of breast approximately 2 cm below the nipple so that the nipple slips under the upper lip to the back of the baby’s mouth.
- Baby’s lips should be flanged out enabling a good seal
- Baby will start sucking quickly then slow down to a rhythmic suck/swallow pattern.
- If your baby isn’t attached properly stop the feed by inserting your finger into the baby’s mouth to break the seal and start again